Alexa Rain 3 months agofrom egypt
A lot of inspired topics and issues,
you always help in finding ways by arrange your reader thinking and informative things.
i am big fan of you.
Virginia Kearney 4 months agofrom United States
Hi Christina--My articles on how to write can help you! Find them by looking to the side or on my profile page. Or just use Google and type what you need with my name.
Christinaaa 4 months ago
I'm trying to write an argument research paper on social media and mental illness or social media and relationships but I'm having trouble narrowing my topic and creating the key points for my paper.
Virginia Kearney 5 months agofrom United States
Hi Rosie--You have a good topic and an interesting personal connection. I'd suggest that you do a frame story introduction and conclusion. Start with your situation and then stop part-way through and ask the question: should you call CPS? Then do your answer and tell why or why not. Finish with telling the end of your story. See my articles on "How to write an argument paper" and "How to write a position paper" for full instructions.
rosie 5 months ago
Wondering how to write a position essay. Topic should you call Child Protective Services. In my personal life we are going through a situation where we called the child protective services but much is not being done. Was thinking if I choose this topic I could write some of our family's frustration about the situation, don't know how to go about writing this essay
Virginia Kearney 6 months agofrom United States
Khen--You can find help if you look for my articles about how to write different kinds of position or argument papers. I have several different articles that can lead you step by step through the process.
Khen 6 months ago
Can you please help me in my position paper?
Virginia Kearney 7 months agofrom United States
Roami, You have an interesting idea. I think one way for you to get some good information to start your paper is to research why local languages are not included in the instruction first. Next, you might want to interview some people to find out their positions and to get some quotes on this topic. Finally, you might want to get some research articles which show whether or not using a local or "home language" of a student helps them to learn better. In the United States, research has shown that students who receive some instruction in their own language at least at first often do better in the long run than a child who is "fully immersed" in English. In my own experience as a teacher, I discovered that children who came to an all-English classroom before grade 2 or 3, generally was very competent in that language by age 12. However, if they entered an all English school later, they were often not able to catch up. However, that only works if the child is in a school where no one else speaks their native language (as is often true in the U.S. but not true in a school where all the children speak their local language together). You have a wonderful topic and one that is very important for your country to consider. I wish you great success in your paper.
roami 7 months ago
pls, i need u to look into this position topic for me. Should local languages be made as compulsory as religious languages in schools
Virginia Kearney 9 months agofrom United States
Hi Sam, you might want to try my article about Funny Argumentative Essay Topic Ideas, or else do the negative of any idea here or in one of my many other argument essays. In a "devil's advocate" paper, you want to go against what most people think. Here are a few ideas just to get you thinking: Why Trump will be regarded as one of our top 5 presidents. Why we should leave ISIS alone. Why race is less a problem in America than Europe. Why the leader of North Korea isn't really crazy.
Sam 9 months ago
I have this assignment of playing the role of devil's advocate and I can't think of a good topic!
( I personally prefer a political related topic).
Virginia Kearney 12 months agofrom United States
Aidyn-You add a very interesting position topic. I had not thought about schools making rules against fasting but it certainly could hurt a child's performance in school if they were fasting for a longer period than a day or two. That could cause a school to be concerned. Thanks for your comment and idea.
Aidyn Krikorian 12 months ago
I greatly appreciate your website, and I have a suggestion for a topic. "Should we allow fasting or other religious acts in schools?" This topic facsinates me and I do hope you will consider it. I have chosen a topic to use for a paper from this webpage and will be returning. Thank you, Aidyn.
Virginia Kearney 12 months agofrom United States
Rose--You did not mention what aspect of culture you are writing about which makes it hard to help you. However, for example, if you are writing a paper arguing to people that only like modern music that classical music is worth listening to, you could start by talking about what you agree with about modern music and acknowledge why people of your generation might prefer to listen to it. Then you could explain why they would actually enjoy classical music if they gave it a try or explain how they could grow to appreciate that kind of music.
rose lasu 12 months ago
I need help on my regerian Argument eassy on culture. I dont now how to start it, Does anyone knows how.thanks
Preston Heard 14 months ago
These are great topics for the upcoming research essays. I will definitely be using one of them. Thank you for this resource!
Aaron Gibson 14 months ago
Excited for your class this semester!
Matt Hartman 14 months ago
This article along with many of the other articles you have written will be very helpful this semester! I'm looking forward to your class!
Virginia Kearney 16 months agofrom United States
Look for my articles about how to write argument or position essays for lots of ideas on how to introduce essays and find sources. Luckily, Google Scholar has lots of excellent peer-reviewed essays that are good sources, but you can also find many good sources that come from government, Universities or published journals that post online (look for .gov, .edu or a journal that also appears in print). One easy way to start your introduction is to tell a story about a student who is generally shy (or maybe bullied) but gets excited (and more included by others) when they are able to share about their own culture during a multiculturalism unit.
jenn 16 months ago
I am doing an Apa essay on "should schools be required to teach multiculturalism" any idea on how I should start my intro and what sources I should use?
Virginia Kearney 17 months agofrom United States
Bebe--You don't tell me whether your paper is a research paper or not, but I've written many articles on how to write different sorts of essays. You can use the search engine on HubPages to find them, or look at the links that usually appear when you pull up one of my articles. Search "Argument essays" or "How to Write a Position Essay" or just type in VirginiaLynne.
To start a paper on your topic, I think I would use a story in the introduction showing a miscommunication when people don't talk face to face.
bebe 17 months ago
Hey . Can you please help me in my position paper . I dont how to start . My topic is cellphone,texts and emails are not as good as talking face to face . It is from yours sample :) thank you
B-RAD 24 months ago
I think that is video gaming good or bad is a great topic to choose.
Virginia Kearney 24 months agofrom United States
Yes Alsaifl, I think that "What is beauty?" could be a topic. You are right that your answer would be a definition claim.
Jumanah Alsaif 24 months ago
Is the topics What is true beauty? (definition) a good topic for a position paper? I was thinking of writing how the definition of beauty is different for each individual
Brittany Adams 14 2 years ago
Thank you so much for posting! This helps a lot with my writing!
Tariq Ali Khan 2 years ago
Excellent work buddy! Thank you so much !
Kristen Howe 2 years agofrom Northeast Ohio
Great topics for a variety of essays for everyone who needs to be inspired. Voted up for useful!
Joanna 3 years ago
That Tom Hanks video is hilarious. These ideas are very thought-provoking and inspiring!
Virginia Kearney 3 years agofrom United States
Cindy A. So glad I was able to give you some good information!
Cindy A. 3 years ago
Unbelievable. You have helped me enormously. Thank you so much
Bluerider 3 years ago
Thank you for these great topics.
VJG 3 years agofrom Texas
This would be an interesting article for school students. They always seem to struggle for essay ideas.
Virginia Kearney 3 years agofrom United States
Hi Safa--Here are the main steps:
1. Choose a question you are going to write about. Then think about what your answer to the question is going to be.
2. Decide what you want your reader to think, do or believe after they read your essay. That is your thesis (the answer to your question).
3. Decide who you want to persuade to believe this (that is your reader or audience). Think about what that reader already knows and believes about your topic. That will help you develop your arguments. The reader should not be someone who already believes what you do. If they do, you aren't really arguing are you?
4. Think of at least 3 reasons why your reader should believe your thesis. Those reasons will be the main body part of your essay.
5. Think of examples or evidence which supports each of those reasons. That is what you will use to support those three reasons.
6. What objections will your reader have? Write those out and also your answers to those objections. This will be a paragraph after your reasons.
7. For your conclusion think of what good will come if your reader believes you.
I've written more in detail about this in my article: https://owlcation.com/academia/How-to-Write-an-Arg...
Virginia Kearney 4 years agofrom United States
Hi katha- if you look at the bottom right blue box I have the links to sample essays. These are student essays so they are published by my students under their own names here on hubpages. Maybe I should move these up on the page so you can find them more easily.
Virginia Kearney 4 years agofrom United States
Samarah--Yes I think that vaccinating children is a very good topic. You can also narrow that to particular types of vaccinations that are new like the chickenpox vaccine or the HPV. Another possible argument on this topic is whether or not it is true that vaccines are the main reason for better health in people today than in the past.
samarah15 4 years ago
Is the right to vaccinate children a good topic?
Virginia Kearney 4 years agofrom United States
I think you can do something related to obesity or how different types of food are good or bad for your health. Or you can talk about GMO foods or organic or locally grown produce.
Virginia Kearney 5 years agofrom United States
Xstatic--I love the fact that you do have a position on everything--I like to look at all sides of things and that is great as an instructor teaching positions, because I can play the devils advocate, but sometimes I do need to just nail down my own point of view!
Jim Higgins 5 years agofrom Eugene, Oregon
A great "how to" for position papers. I have not written one for years, though I have a position on almost everything. Useful Hub and well done as usual.
An argumentative essay is a particular type of academic writing. It requires students to develop and articulate a clear position on their respective research topic. This argumentative position is advanced and supported through the engaged use of research to support the writer's perspective in the attempt to convince his or her audience to share the author's view. To write a strong argumentative essay, students should begin by familiarizing themselves with some of the common, and often conflicting, positions on the research topic so that they can write an informed paper. Students then need to begin compiling relevant evidence, including statistics, expert opinions, and verifiable facts to support their position.
Generally speaking, the primary purpose of an argumentative essay is to persuade an audience to see things from another perspective, particularly one that may go against their entrenched presuppositions.
What Constitutes a Strong Argumentative Essay Topic?
In choosing your topic, it is often a good idea to begin with a subject that you already have some familiarity with. Even if you chose to hire professional help for the paper, writing on a topic you have knowledge of and interest in will make a much better platform for your ideas, and you will have a better command of the relevant issues pertaining to your topic. It is often a good idea to choose a topic that tends to elicit an emotional response. Getting your audience invested emotionally can go a long way in persuading them to see your perspective, and getting engaged with your paper.
Chose Your Own Topic or Have Your Essay Completed For You
We provide an excellent list of topics to get you started writing your own argumentative essay. However, we also offer services to have your essay written for you for a small fee. Our company currently has hundreds of professional writers with extensive backgrounds in academic contexts, including research, essay and dissertation writing. Our employees have written hundreds of essays for students across the world. Our company has the knowledge and experience required to customize essays to suit any academic context or subject, and to ensure you receive the grade you want. Contact us now to see how we can provide you with these services!
If you decide to compose the paper on your own, below is the list of strong argumentative paper topics. Some of the more frequently discussed ones include sample essays.
Middle and High School Level Topics
- Should obtaining contraceptives require teenagers to have parental approval?
- Should restrictions be imposed on the number of passengers a minor is allowed to transport in his or her vehicle?
- Should it be mandatory to obtain a high school education?
College Level Topics
- When is it justifiable to employ military force?
- If a minor commits a crime, should the parents be held accountable?
- Should academic success be the main determining factor in college admissions?
Topics You Would be Wise to Avoid
- Is our current governmental process just?
- Are athletes unfairly compensated for their skills?
- Should a moral limit be imposed on how far science can go?
- Should we take at face value all of the claims made by infomercials?
- Should it be permissible to post videos of funny cats on social media sites?
- What song is the absolute worst one ever written?
- Video and computer games can negatively impact those who play them.
- Sexual education is the best way to prevent teenage pregnancy and a variety of other issues.
- Is it legal to terminate a pregnancy?
Topics in Bioethics
- Is it moral or justifiable to employ animals in research?
- Cloning should be a forbidden practice.
Topics Pertaining to the IT Sphere
- Some internet browsers and search engines can prompt privacy and security concerns among users.
- Sites, where you can download protected content, violate copyright laws.
- Should there be regulations imposed on YouTube commenters?
- Do you agree or disagree that the Internet has become too commercialized?
Topics Relevant to Legal Issues
- Do gun control regulations help to reduce crime?
- Is capital punishment a justifiable action?
- Is the practice of euthanasia a defensible one?
- The book "Twelve Angry Men" is a literary representation of democracy, including its potential flaws.
- Should same-sex marriage be legalized?
- It is never justifiable to submit someone to torture.
- Smoking in commonly held places should not be permitted.
- Regulations in society are becoming too controlling.
- It is wrong to make the use of marijuana legal in some states.
- It should be illegal to produce and sell cigarettes.
Topics of Social Concern
- Racial tolerance is enhanced by cross-cultural marriages.
- The behavior of children from one-parent homes is different from those who come from a two-parent household.
- Criminal activity is more frequently engaged in by men rather than women.
- Youthfulness makes people more rebellious by nature, and consequently, young adults are more receptive to negative influence.
- Children who saw violence on TV are more likely to be violent themselves
- Sexual content on TV influences teenagers in a negative way.
- The best way to improve education is to homeschool children.
- Because trees recycle air, the destruction of rainforests should be prohibited.
- To reduce gas prices, should countries drill for oil in environmentally protected places?
- Global warming does not actually exist.
- Do electric cars potentially offer a remedy to worldwide pollution?
Topic Pertaining to Society and the Media
- Is it true or false that women' body images are influenced by the media?
- Is it true or false that there is causality between playing violent video games and perpetuating violence in schools?
- Do cities have an obligation to preserve old or historic buildings?
- Losing weight can not be achieved by dieting.
- Acquiring the loyalty of employees can only be done through monetary rewards.
- Career success is no longer dependent on life-long learning skills.
- The veracity of Correspondence Theory of Truth is a legitimate position to hold.
- Japan should not be allowed to claim the Dokdo islands as they are the property of Korea.
- Ghost hunting involves the deception of people.
Advice on How to Write an Excellent Argumentative Essay
- body paragraphs
Utilizing the above structure for an argumentative essay will help keep you focused, and ensure that your audience can follow your argument.
- The opening paragraph states the paper's thesis topic clearly and concisely and elaborates very briefly on the background as well as the importance of the subject.
- The body paragraphs come after the introduction paragraph. This is where the writer advances his or her arguments and provides accurate and trustworthy evidence to support them.
- The type of supporting evidence should be based on the topic of the essay: factual, anecdotal, logical or statistical.
- After conveying his or her own position, the author addresses alternative perspectives.
- The essay is finished with a concluding paragraph. This is a highly important component of the essay, as this makes a final impression on the reader. Here the author should briefly summarize the key points he or she has made in the body paragraphs, as well as state why his or her perspective is to be preferred. A few comments on the significance of the topic for a contemporary audience should also be included here. The conclusion should not include any new information that was not previously addressed in the paper.
Another helpful resource to make your writing seem more polished is to employ connection words.
How are Connection Words Supposed to be Used in Writing an Argumentative Essay?
Connection words act like bridges between the ideas articulated in your paper. They assist in the flow of the paper as you transition from one idea to another.
Addition: also, in addition, together, likewise;
Contrast: however, in reality, still, despite, nevertheless, otherwise;
Cause or Purpose: for the purpose of, as/so long as, given that, with this in mind;
Result: therefore, for this reason, consequently, accordingly, as a result;
Conclusion: all things considered, as shown above, in conclusion, for the most part, to summarize.
How Will this Knowledge Help Me in the Future?
Knowing how to write a strong argumentative paper helps you advance your own argumentative thinking. Thinking critically and being able to persuasively advocate your own position are fundamentally important skills to have in contemporary society. In many professional contexts, respectful argumentation is what leads to the development of new ideas and perspectives. Being able to compose a strong argument will help you succeed in society.
Part of what constitutes success is the ability to maintain focus, and in particular to direct your focus to what you really think and how you want to devote your future time, life, and resources. The more time you can invest in this, the further ahead you will be in pursuing your career goals.
We have been writing academic papers for students since 2015. We encourage you to employ our services as one of the components of your career success trajectory.
Did you Know?
Many brilliant people who achieved success in life were actually academic drop-outs. Because they were so preoccupied with what was important to them, they often couldn't complete their homework on time. Regardless if you are a successful business entrepreneur, have a hectic job in a fast-paced corporation, or have a personal emergency or unforeseen circumstance, failing a class or module is a possibility if you do not have your academic work submitted in time. That's why our essay writers are here to provide assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg had been aware of our services, they likely would have gotten their degrees on time!